Sunday, April 19, 2009

Life is too short to not do some of the things you've always wanted to do. So I decided to try my hand at making ice cream. Why did I make Banana ice cream?

A. I got a bananza of bananas for 19 cents a pound!
B. Bananas are really good for you- tons of potassium!
C. My mom likes banana flavored deserts and has passed that love on to me?
D. All of the above.



The answer of course is D. You can tell from the picture above that it actually looks like real ice cream(and it is where's a sugar cone when you need one:). The recipe was pretty easy to follow. There was however a time element involved. You make up your ice cream mixture which does involve some cooking an then you have to put it in the fridge for about 3 hours. So you definitely want to do this on your day off. But the waits well worth it. After you add the mixture to your ice cream maker it's only a few minutes before your ice cream sets and it's awesome. Tip: there is a pour-in spout on your ice cream maker for a reason. Do not try (like someone I know... namely me)to pour the batter in frozen bowl and then put in the mixing element. The mixture will freeze immediately and you'll be up ice cream creek with no paddle-not good. Save that for when we make popsicles. My first try came out just sweet enough and delicious. Here's the book I got the recipe from. Visit your local library and check it out.



I have a dinner party coming up and I always bring the dessert. I think it's going to be pumpkin cinnamon ice cream this time.

No comments: