Tuesday, December 22, 2009

everything but the kitchen sink!

As most of you know I've been under the weather for the past couple of days. i've been trying to get well and I'm on the mend as the britt's would say. After a particularly difficult worship team session ending with me praying for the prayer to be short so I could blow my nose. I decided I needed some TLC you know maybe some chicken soup. I thought about getting a can of campbell's chicken noodle soup. Then I thought about how much sodium was in a can of soup-yes I know I've turned into an AARP rep championing low sodium broth. So how was I going to get the nourishment that I needed? So what follows is my quick and easy approach to homemade-chock full of vitamins and assorted other flavors soup.

First pick up some lovely items from you local grocery store



As you can see from the picture I've picked up to bags of mixed vegetables. Why two I'm glad you asked. One bag didn't have all the vegetables I wanted so I combined two. The chicken was $4.99 fully cooked. I pulled the skin from the bird and diced the chicken. The bag makes a lovely trash bag.The other items I already had on hand. The only item not pictured here are the two potatoes I peeled and diced.

Secondly heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
Add your diced garlic,onions,and celery to the pan. Season the vegetables with italian seasoning,chives,and basil. Saute these vegetables until they become slightly translucent.




Thirdly add 8 cups of water to the pot. Throw in your frozen vegetables,diced potatoes,and diced chicken. Boil your soup until the vegetables and potatoes become tender. Add your spinach now. The spinach will wilt but still remain a lovely bright green. Season with salt to your taste.



Ladle into the bowl of your choice and enjoy

No comments: